CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A goodnight sleep-needed

The past three nights have been extremely tiresome with Carson. I start preparing for bed with him around 7:00pm. Our night routine is pretty scheduled with a shower or tubby, dressing for bed, Carson picking out his dessert, watches a clip of a movie or Noggin for 15/20 minutes, we read for 20 minutes, say our prayers and Carson is off to bed. I usually give myself about 1/2 hour, getting lunches ready and picking up the house before I head to bed. When all said and done, I give myself a few minutes of quiet time before I turn off the light. Just as I get my side of the bed warm and fall into a peaceful sleep, Carson starts calling for me, "Mommy, come here". I lay there for a few minutes, praying that he falls back to sleep. Nope! The "Mommy, come here", turns into a full blown cry. I drag myself out of bed and walk across the hall to find Carson, pleading to come into my bed. I tell him no, and he lays back down with a struggle. I hurry across the hall as quick as I can hoping by bed is still warm. I settle back in and close my eyes, and hope to pick up where I left off in my sleep. About two hours later, the same thing happens again. Finally after the second time, I give in. Now I have a little 25 pound boy sleeping in my bed. First, he wants to talk for a few minutes, then he asks for something to eat (usually grapes). So for the next 10 minutes I listen to his little lips snapping together as he eats a small bowl of grapes. Finally, he falls asleep. Yes, now I get to close my eyes and get some zeees. Nope, he takes up so much room in the bed, moves around, twirls my hair in his fingers, kicks like a kangaroo, and grinds his teeth. Uh! I find myself sleeping on the very edge of the bed, looking at the alarm clock, thinking if I fall asleep now, I will get four hours of sleep.
Does this sound familiar?

6 comments:

Bobbi said...

OH, that is a tough spot to be in. You need sleep, so you cave. But, now may be the time to break it. I would try telling him no, and then make him lay down. Stay in his room in a chair to comfort him and slowly move that chair away over the course of a few nights. It may be some sleepless times for a few nights, but this has worked for us w/our kids, but they were younger. Good luck!!

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I have been there, done that. The trick is to not give in. I know it is hard but I agree with Bobbi, that's what worked for Emmi! Good luck, nights seem to last forever when they are like that! I feel for you!

Steph said...

Oh no. That is awful! No sleep is just torturous. Hopefully it is just a phase, like most things, and will pass soon. Bringing E to our bed does not work because he does the same things...plays with my hair, stands on the bed, talks, etc, etc. We have done the same thing as Bobbi & Heidi and that usually works for us. There are a few nights it was easier for me to sleep on the floor of his room. But, E is a little younger so... It's tough! Best of luck and I hope you get some sleep SOON!

Alissa said...

i have been there too. Emilio was like that for about 3 months this winter. Many of days working on only 3 hours of sleep really does catch up with you. good luck.

Kimberly said...

What a bummer! I hope you're able to get some sleep soon. Aeson goes through that every few months, but he's still in a crib so it's much easier for me to sit in the rocking chair while he falls back asleep in his bed. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Kimmie said...

Oh, you must be so tired.

Praying you find a solution, so you get real sleep (4 hours is never real sleep ;-(

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted