CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 4, 2010

last weekend

It was a family weekend. Saturday we spent the day at my parents house enjoying the beautiful weather, pool and BBQ. The evening was rather quiet as Jonathan had a golf lesson and Shauna had to work so the rest of us (Noah, Carson and I) hung at the house. I finished mowing the back yard. There is something about mowing grass that I love. I am not sure what it is but I always volunteer to mow even if its 90 degrees outside. Yes, its a push mower!
Sunday was church and then a wonderful BBQ at my cousin Kim's home. It was great hanging out with my cousins. There is always plenty of laughs when we are all together. Sure there are quiet moments but nothing that would make one feel uncomfortable. I went into my cousin Kim's home which used to be my Grandparents for the first time or maybe the second time since my Grandmother (Greta) passed away many years ago I wanted to see her remodeled kitchen. It looks great! As I was walking around the downstairs of her home everything seemed OK within my spirit. However, as I turned the corner near the steps leading to the upstairs-"the smell, that smell, how I remember that smell" of my Grandparents home was stronger then ever. So needless to say, I had goosebumps and a flood of memories that clouded my mind. Memories that took me back to when I was a child. Memories of ALL the family being together. Memories that I would love to have back. Memories which hurt and memories which make me laugh. It amazes me how a smell can drum up a high tide of memories. A smell that makes me think I would see my Grandmother sitting on the couch doing a crossword puzzle or reading a book. A smell that makes me think I could walk into the kitchen and see my Grandfather drinking his coffee in his McDonald's coffee cup which was white with a faided arch while looking out the window. A smell that can make me see all the family sitting around on a Sunday afternoon for dinner. Life goes by so fast.... But like they say, memories last a life time!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Greta Jo,

Love your blog! Carson looks very cute in all of his pictures. I'm an American working for a non-profit organization based some 20 minutes outside Antigua, Guatemala. I see that you and a lot of your readers are interested in supporting Guatemala, and was wondering if you would mention us in your next post. FUNCEDESCRI gives rural Mayan families the tools they need to achieve food security. You can check out our promotional video on YouTube! We have 9 days to raise about $1,130 for GlobalGiving, and we're trying to reach out to potential donors. Would you be interested in helping us?

Thanks!
Janine